Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Raising girls

So the girls have both said some things that really impressed me the last few days.  Which is so nice because man it is tough being a mom to all these girls.  Hannah was opening up to me about a friend at school that causes trouble in their group of friends, she has days she is really nice and days she is really mean and calls a lot of names.  Anyway, Hannah said, "_____(Name of girl), she judges people on what they look like, like how nice their clothes are..." and then I'm not sure her exact words, but how she didn't think that was right.  That you can be friends with people no matter what they look or dress like.  So proud of her for saying that.
Then a few days later Hannah and Megan were arguing, pretty typical around here, and I just came in and overhead part of it so I don't know what led up to this, but she was claiming that Megan would just brag about herself and say like I'm so pretty.... and Megan stopped her and said, "No, Hannah, one person isn't prettier than another."  And Hannah said, "well, I know that." and went on to say something else Megan would do.  Anyway, I was just really impressed that they both would speak that way, we don't need to compare our looks to others or say we are better looking or uglier.  Rob and I have been very careful in how we speak to the girls about their beauty, because they are all so beautiful, but we don't want that to be their focus and we definitely don't want them comparing to other people or putting other people down if they don't think they are as pretty.  I just really want my girls to be beautiful people on the inside because I know they will already be beautiful on the outside.  So we have a lot of work to do to make sure they can have that inner beauty that is so important.

This morning the girls were arguing again over clothes and I turned to Rob and said, "We have many long years of these kinds of arguments!"

And I need to be a better example to my girls.

Mothering is tough work!

No comments: