The fact that I just wrote TWINS in the title is still UNBELIEVABLE!!
This is 12 weeks 2 days, the day we found out there was not 1 baby, but 2.
I had set up my first appointment when I was at the 8 week mark. I was looking forward to hearing the heartbeat and having it feel real. Little did I know what I was in store for and that it still feels totally unreal.
I just had Hadley with me, the other kids were at school/Lynsey's house. I filled out the paperwork and then they wanted to check to see if we could hear the baby's heartbeat. I laid back and exposed my belly and the student midwife was feeling for my uterus. When she said she could feel it 2 fingers below my belly button the midwife came over to feel it herself. Then they grabbed the tape measure and measured me and I was measuring at 16.5, not 12. I immediately thought, oh no, this is not supposed to be happening. They asked me if my dates could be wrong and I told them no, I was positive, I had been tracking my period using an app on my phone. They asked if I wanted an ultrasound to know for sure what was going on. I said yes. The technician happened to be there that day and got me right in. I laid back and he started the ultrasound and I can only see one baby. He is measuring and tells them 12 weeks 2 day, so my dates are right. He was about to be done and they said well we were wondering if there could be 2. He moves the wand a little bit and says, oh yes, there are two!! I immediately started crying and Trinette came and held my hand and tried to soothe me. He continued to measure both babies and they are measuring the same size. He also told us they each are in their own sac and have their own placenta. My body started shaking uncontrollably like I was freezing, I really think it was shock. I asked my midwives if I could deliver with them still, they said unfortunately no and I started sobbing again.
My appointment took way longer than expected and by then Rob had called a few times to see what was up. I called him back as I was heading back to get the kids and he could tell I was crying and asked, "What's wrong?" I said there are TWO of them! He sounded shocked and got really quiet.
I grabbed the kids, got them lunch, took Maddy to school, and went out to see Rob at work. He held me as I cried and comforted me, saying we can do this. Then we started spreading the word to all the family and it was complete SHOCK all around. And the news spread like fire!! Everyone was so kind and has been so supportive and offering to help as much as they can and saying how it couldn't have happened to a better family.
I still can't believe it is true.
The kids were absolutely thrilled when we told them. And sounds like all the cousins are just as excited too. Amazing how twins create such a buzz of excitement.
There is so much to think about and try and prepare for...I am overwhelmed and just praying we can figure this out and get these babies here safely.
The first 3 are one and the last 2 are another one.
This last one cracks us up, it looks like the baby is sitting back reclining with it's legs crossed. The kids said this baby must be going to be a rock star! Haha!





No comments:
Post a Comment