Monday, September 26, 2011

Remembering Dad-8 years











My older brother Ryan, me, and my younger brother Rhett (I am one lucky girl to have these men as my brothers).


Melinda, Ryan, me, Rob, Rhett, and Heather



Yesterday, September 25th, was the anniversary of dad's death 8 years ago. We sat in the very room where my Dad died, it was in the front room of the house I grew up in, which happens to be the house my older brother and his sweet wife live in and are raising their family of 5. We shared memories of that day, what we each remembered, how we felt. I feel like I don't remember all that I wish I could, but also I feel that if I remembered more of the details that living each day without him would be more difficult if my memories were so crisp. Rob didn't have much to say last night, but on our drive home told me how much he does remember, that it is the most vivid 18 months of his life. He remembers spending every single night at home with my dad, most of the time Rob, I, and Dad (this was before Rob and I were married even) because my Mom had a cleaning job at night that she took all the younger kids to help her with. I love it when memories do come back and when I dream of him. It was a truly amazing and life changing experience to be so involved in the process of death and being there as my dad crossed over to the other side, knowing that he is not gone forever but lives on and that I will see him again.


We headed over to the cemetary, where the kids looked for "baby graves" (creepy right) and then started taking all the flower vases off of the mosoleum graves and stacking them up like a big ice cream cone. We were all so mortified and made them put them back right away! I had made breakfast cake, it was my dad's specialty, and we ate that at his grave while we talked some more about him. We also left a piece of cake on his grave when we left.


Looking at the pictures we took, I just feel so grateful to have my amazing family. I have two of my three brothers living close with their awesome wifes and adorable kids. I love them! I love that I have my big brother who has so perfectly filled in as my dad whenever I have needed him, he is amazing. I know they would do anything for me and I would do the same for them. I miss my family that doesn't live here, but I am so grateful for them as well. They are truly amazing people. Thank you Dad and Mom for giving us such a strong foundation of love and of the gospel, I will forever be grateful to you!

1 comment:

Stay Tan in Homer said...

Love the pictures...wish I could have been there to share in the memories and add to it. Dad was a faithful man who loved the gospel and had a very personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He was truly refined through his "journey" with cancer and I know he is waiting for us to rejoin him, and cheering for our success. I am so grateful for his faith and example and for the wonderful children we created together. I know he is so grateful for his righteous children and that his grandchildren are being raised with the gospel. Love you!!